Learn What To Do If Someone Hits Your Car During A Fit Of Road Rage

Posted on

Road rage can create dangerous situations on the roadway. When you become a victim of road rage that ends with your vehicle being damaged it can be hard to know what to do. If you find yourself in an accident because another driver had a fit of road rage, use the following guide to learn what steps to take.

Stay in the Car

If it is safe for you to stay in the car, do not get out of it. The person who is having the fit of road rage may not have come to their senses after the accident or may be even more enraged. It could be dangerous for you to get out of the car because they person could hurt you physically.

Take Photos of the Person and the Car

Use your cell phone to take pictures of the car that the person was driving and of the person who has road rage. Be sure to take pictures of the license plate of the vehicle in case the person decides to drive away after they realize that they are going to be in serious trouble for their tantrum.

Contact the Police

Next, you need to call the police to have someone come to the scene to not only document what happened, but to also make sure that you are as safe as you can be. When the police arrive, be sure to let them know what happened. They should be able to tell from the damage that was done to your vehicle who caused the accident. The police will file an accident report that you can pick up at a later time.

Go to the Hospital

After being involved in an accident, you need to go to the hospital to be looked over to make sure that you are not badly injured. There are many times when people do not realize that they have been injured in an accident because their adrenaline is pumping so rapidly. You need to document your injuries from the accident so that you can make a claim for them with the person's insurance company in the future.

Once you have taken all of the steps listed above, you need to contact an accident attorney, like one from Law Offices of Rickie T. Weiner P.C. Provide them a copy of the accident report, information about the other driver, as well as your medical records. They will be able to deal with the other person's insurance company directly, or build a civil suit for you to take to court to have the driver compensate you for the damage that they caused during their fit of road rage.